Academic & Research
Amos Eaton Hall
Center for Biotechnology and Interdisciplinary Studies (CBIS)
Ranked among the world’s most advanced research facilities, Rensselaer’s 218,000-square-foot Center for Biotechnology and Interdisciplinary Studies provides the university with a state-of-the-art location to conduct interdisciplinary research and host world-class programs and symposia.
Empire State Hall
Empire State Hall houses the New York State Center for Polymer Synthesis at Rensselaer. It also connects the Materials Research Center and Cogswell Laboratory.
Experimental Media & Performing Arts Center (EMPAC)
The Curtis R. Priem Experimental Media and Performing Arts Center (EMPAC) provides students, artists, researchers, and audiences with opportunities to link the arts with leading-edge research and performance. The 217,000-square-foot facility is designed for the highest quality in acoustics, visual presentation, production, and performance technology found nowhere else under one roof.
Folsom Library, the main campus library, was dedicated in 1976 by former Rensselaer President Richard G. Folsom. With state-of-the-art electronic retrieval services and study space for over 900 students, the Folsom Library serves as Rensselaer’s central library while the Architecture Library, located in the Greene Building, supports the School of Architecture programs.
Home of the School of Architecture, this building has its own library, CNC shop, and a gallery for showing students’ work.
Jonsson Engineering Center (JEC)
The Jonsson Engineering Center (JEC), home to the School of Engineering, was named for J. Erik Jonsson ’22, co-founder of Texas Instruments. Each floor of the building is dedicated to a different discipline of engineering and contains many major research facilities and a large number of academic classrooms.
Jonsson-Rowland Science Center
The Jonsson-Rowland Science Center & Hirsch Observatory is home to the School of Science, holding classes and laboratories for the Departments of Biology and Physics and related disciplines. The Hirsch Observatory, on top of the building, is open to all students.
LINAC Facility (Gaerttner Laboratory)
Low Center for Industrial Innovation (CII)
The Low Center for Industrial Innovation (CII), designed as an industrial-oriented research facility for both Rensselaer and New York state, houses three general computing labs available for student use, a manufacturing center, and clean rooms for designing computer chips.
Materials Research Center (MRC)
Twenty-five laboratories, designed in part by faculty, provide facilities for powder metallurgy, polymer, ceramics, ultrasonics, cryogenics, corrosion and other materials research.
One of Rensselaer’s oldest buildings transformed into a technology-intensive center for teaching and research.
The facility features four large classrooms with facilities for distance learning and a virtual trading floor for education in stock transactions and financial analysis.
Russell Sage Laboratory
Russell Sage Laboratory houses computer labs, a makers space, and multimedia production labs.
Originally constructed in 1905, this building was renovated to incorporate 21st century innovations in the teaching of chemistry.
Housing state-of-the-art wet labs along with the most advanced computer and people friendly studio classrooms, this building has been transformed into a facility for interactive learning in chemistry and related fields.
The undergraduate chemistry program has occupied this building since its construction.
West Hall is home to Rensselaer’s Arts Department, the Office of Research Administration and Finance, Real Estate Management, and the Rensselaer Credit Union.
The Rensselaer Music Association (the governing body of all musical groups at Rensselaer) is housed in West Hall, utilizing the West Hall Auditorium for group rehearsals and performances.
Originally built in 1866, and the oldest building on the RPI campus, the Winslow Building is the home of the Tetherless World Constellation.
The ’87 Gymnasium (gift of the class of 1887) has a swimming pool, two small gymnasia, an indoor track, and racquetball and squash courts.
Financial Aid, Student Life Services Center, Health Center
The Student Health Center offers comprehensive, nationally accredited physician directed program providing outpatient ambulatory health care. Services include medical, gynecology, and allergy clinics, a counseling center, and health education and wellness programs.
The Dean of Students Office encompasses Judicial Affairs, Greek Affairs, Minority Student Affairs, International Services for Students and Scholars, and Disability Services for Students.
Alumni Sports & Recreation Center
The Alumni Sports & Recreation Center houses the Robison Gymnasium, which has an indoor track; a physiotherapy room; basketball, volleyball, and tennis courts on a resilient surface and locker facilities.
This building also houses the offices of the Rensselaer Physical Education and Intercollegiate Athletics, and the Reserve Office Training Corps (ROTC).
Chapel + Cultural Center
The C+CC is the home of the University Parish of Christ Sun of Justice, and provides a centrally-located focal point for cultural, spiritual and educational activities to the benefit of our home community and campus.
Commons Dining Hall
Rensselaer’s Commons Dining Hall, located at the center of the first-year residence halls, offers several dining options.
These include the popular Asian Pacifica, the Firehouse Grill, Pasta Allegro, Sage Deli, and Theme Cuisine. Other recent additions are a self-service Halal and Kosher station.
East Campus Athletic Village Arena (ECAV)
Home to the Rensselaer men's and women's basketball programs, the East Campus Arena features a performance gymnasium with seating for 1,200. A separate practice gym is also included, as well as dedicated locker rooms for both programs. Visiting and officials locker rooms are also included.
East Campus Athletic Village Stadium
One of the most extensive athletic construction project in the Institute's history, the complex features a multipurpose lighted stadium with field turf and seating for 5,200
Houston Field House
Located at the top of Peoples Avenue, the Houston Field House hosts the Rensselaer Hockey home games as well as figure skating, concerts, and other major events.
The main feature of the Field House is its 185-by-85 foot ice hockey rink that can be transformed into a wooden floor for a multitude of events. The building has permanent seating for 5,300 spectators.
This 32,000-square-foot fitness center houses more than 40 pieces of aerobic exercise equipment, including eight treadmills, 11 elliptical cross-training machines as well as rowers, stationary bikes, steppers, and treadmills.
The facility was named the Mueller Center in recognition of a multimillion-dollar gift to the university’s unrestricted endowment from Nancy Mueller, a Rensselaer trustee. She made the contribution in honor of her late husband, Glenn M. Mueller, a former Rensselaer trustee and a 1964 graduate.
The current Playhouse, a former U.S.O. building, was moved from Windsor Locks, Connecticut to Rensselaer in 1946. The building was acquired by the Institute to accommodate a library extension, study space and social activities. The structure was placed along 15th St. and thus dubbed the 15th Street Lounge or Lounge 15. In 1972, the lounge became the RPI Playhouse.
Radio Club W2SZ
Since 1911, W2SZ has been a place where students enjoy the challenges and satisfaction of Amateur Radio.
Robison Swimming Pool
Home to the Rensselaer men's and women's swimming & diving teams, the Robison Pool features eight lanes for competitive swimming. Additionally, the complex has multiple three-meter and one-meter diving boards.
Russell Sage Dining Hall
Russell Sage Dining Hall’s central campus location makes it the Quad’s unofficial dining hall.
Barton Hall houses 200 freshmen and was built to meet the needs of the next generation of Rensselaer students.
Designed as an extension of the Institute’s renowned collaborative studio learning environments, Barton Hall is fully loaded for laptop and data communication.
The building offers 13 private conference rooms to support team project curricula. There is a large lounge on the fourth floor, which can also accommodate larger group meetings.
The Howard N. Blitman, P.E. ’50 Residence Commons expanded housing options for Rensselaer undergraduates while bringing approximately 300 students downtown to engage in the vibrant community of Troy. The new residence commons is situated at the bottom of the Rensselaer Approach, the century-old granite staircase that symbolizes the connection between the City of Troy and the Institute.
Burdett Avenue Residence Hall
Polytechnic Residence Commons
Polytechnic Residence Commons is apartment housing option available to students since Fall 2009. Located on the corner of 15th and Congress Streets in Troy, the complex offers studio, as well as three or four bedroom apartment options.
The Quadrangle Residence Hall Complex (the Quad) is situated on the main campus and is Rensselaer’s largest and oldest residence area. Built in 1919, the Quad houses 450 of the university’s upperclassmen in single, double, and triple rooms.
Rensselaer Apartment Housing Project A
Rensselaer Apartment Housing Project B
Operations & Administration
2021 Peoples Avenue
2144 Burdett Avenue
41 Ninth Street
The Admissions Office is conveniently located across the street from the Student Union. Here you can attend one of the regular admissions information sessions and take a student-led campus tour.
Contact Admissions to schedule a visit or to request information.
Alumni House (Heffner)
The Heffner Alumni House is a spacious and comfortable facility that houses meeting rooms, dining facilities, a library, and formal and informal gathering areas.
Blaw-Knox 1 & 2
Boiler House, 11th Street
Boiler House, Sage Avenue
Greenhouses and Grounds Barn
The department provides 24-hour per day, 365-day response to life-safety incidents, coordinates internal and external resources to assist the management of critical incidents, and conducts awareness programs to proactively assist its community members in the maintenance of personal safety. 518-276-6611
The Troy Building was constructed in 1924 for use by the Civil Engineering Department and was paid for by the city of Troy in honor of Rensselaer’s 100th anniversary. Today, the President, Provost, Vice President for Institute Advancement, Vice President for Information Services and Technology and Chief Information Officer, Vice President for Student Life, Division of Finance, and Division of Strategic Communications & External Relations are located in the building.
Voorhees Computing Center (VCC)
The Voorhees Computing Center (VCC) houses the staff offices of the Division of the Chief Information Officer (DotCIO) and Helpdesk. The VCC was named in honor of a 1947 alumnus who was a major donor to the renovation project.
- Faculty & Staff Parking
- Event Parking