During the summer, The Arch allows students to experience Rensselaer in a unique academic environment. As the only full class on campus, rising juniors have increased access to:
- Faculty and staff in specialized classes
- World-class facilities such as the Lighting Research Center, Microelectronics Clean Room, and Manufacturing Innovation Learning Laboratory
Advising HUB Locations
- School of Architecture – Greene Building
- School of Engineering – Johnson Engineering Center, 3rd Floor, Ansell Lounge
- School of Humanities Arts and Social Science – Sage Building 4307
- The Lally School – Pittsburgh Building, 3200
- School of Science – Science Center, 1C12
Students can view their recommended curriculum and timeline for completion by visting the Rensselaer Catalog associated with the year they entered Rensselaer and their major.
- The Arch Design Studio - Ecovative, Green Island
- The Melting Pot of Cultures - The Tenement Museum, NYC
- Your Brain on Aerial Yoga - Good Karma Studio, Albany, NY
- Exploring Light, Color, and Space - MASS MOCA, MA
- Radix Ecological Education Center - Albany, NY
- Introduction to Historical Simulations - Rensselaer County Historical Society, Troy, NY
- Environmental Economics - Battenkill Creek, Arlington, VT
- Soul Fire Farm Community Day - Petersburg, NY
- GE Plant Visit - Schenectady, NY
- Corning Museum of Glass - Corning, NY
- Park Nanoscience Center - SUNY Polytechnic Institute, Albany, NY
- New Technology to Understand a Changing World - Lake George, NY
Note: For more information on academic field trips, contact the school indicated.
Semester Away Search Plan
Semester Away Resources
Virtual Career Fair
Career Fair Prep
To learn more, visit the Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD).
Student Success Lab Series (Occurs Every Wednesday)
Summer Intramurals (Through August 16)
Stress Relief Day & Therapy Dogs
Saratoga Jazz Festival
The S Word
Stand-Up Paddleboarding Yoga
Guided Hiking Tour
Stress Relief Day & Therapy Dogs
To learn more and for additional co-curricular activities, visit the Student Union Facebook Page.
Tuition for The Arch summer semester is the same as the fall and spring semester. Current fees can be found here.
Dining Costs and Options
There are a variety of meal plans available to students in the summer including the Create Your Own (CYO) plan. Current summer plans and fees can be found here.
Housing Costs and Options
Summer housing consists of single, double, and triple rooms. Current rates can be found here.
Health Center and Student Activity Fee information can be found here.
Summer Here Testimonials
"The Arch is quite different from the regular semesters and the teacher interaction is much better. I also enjoy having some online assignments which give me more flexibility."
— Haotong Shen’19, Business Management
"I really enjoy the class sizes in my BME courses this summer. I also have enjoyed the relationships I’ve built with students in my cohort."
— Jennifer Makarevich’19, Biomedical Engineering
"I’m visiting downtown Troy a lot, making solid Arch connections and enjoy the cohort affinity."
— Snehansh Pabba’19, Biomedical Engineering
"I am having a great time at the CCPD networking event. It is a very intimate setting that allows me to talk to potential employers on a more personal note."
— Nathan Hontoria’19, Environmental Engineering
"Great experience so far with my BME course, I hang out with my classmates outside of class a lot more and the overall summer atmosphere seems more relaxing."
— Cindy Leyva’19, Biomedical Engineering
"My experience at the CCPD networking event has been great! I've had the chance to meet one-on-one with prospective employers in a more intimate setting than a career fair."
— David Kyslinger’19, Chemical Engineering