Payment Information


New Students

The Bursar’s Office at Rensselaer exclusively uses eBilling to distribute tuition bills. Rensselaer uses a web-based presentation from Transact to provide a secure access to student financial records.

New students and parents

If you are a confirmed student, information regarding how to set up your RPI email will be sent to the email address you applied to Rensselaer with.

Access to eBILLS
  • An email notification is sent to each student’s Rensselaer email address with instructions on how to access the eBill. Once enrolled, the student may designate additional users, usually a parent or guardian, to enroll and also have access to their bills. Since eBills are the only way to receive your bill, keep in mind that you must allow your parents access in order for them to be able to view the bill. 
  • It will remain the responsibility of the student to check for the latest eBill and ensure that it is paid on or before the due date. Students whose parents or guardians do not have access to email are responsible for printing a PDF copy of their bill and mailing it to their parents or guardians.
  • Each month, students will receive a courtesy e-mail sent to their Rensselaer e-mail address indicating the availability of that month's bill. The other individuals designated by the student will also receive a similar email indicating the link and the availability of the bill.
  • Each time an online payment is made, you will receive a confirmation email for your records.
  • Pay by Mail: If you prefer to mail in your payment, just print the bill, keep the top portion for your records and return the bottom portion along with your payment to the address at the bottom of the bill. You will also need to attach the payment coupon, a printable version of which can be accessed by clicking the "Print Payment Coupon" button at the bottom of your eBill.
  • The Rensselaer Tuition Payment Plan: If you are enrolled in the monthly installment plan through Transact, you must continue to make your payments directly through the Transact portal, not directly to Rensselaer. Payments made directly to Rensselaer will adjust the remaining payments due on the payment plan.
  • eBills are a snapshot in time and do not reflect any activity (payments, credits, or adjustments) until the next billing cycle. To view the current activity on your student account, select "Activity Details" while logged into Transact. The balance displayed by Transact is your real-time balance. 
Student Access

Students can access their eBill via the Student Information System (SIS).

  • Once in SIS, click Student Account Detail
  • Select Account Summary by Semester.
  • The link to Transact is at the top of the page.
  • In Transact, you can view bills by clicking "Statements". Select "Make a payment" for payments. Select "My Account" to allow others access to your bills in the "Payers" section.
Inviting Others/Parents and Parent Access

Student Invites

  • Select the Transact link in SIS (Student Account Detail > Account Summary by Semester)
  • Click "My Account" on the top left.
  • Under PAYERS, input the information requested for the person you wish to have access.
  • They will then be sent an email with the access information.

Parent Access to eBills


Payment Options

*Always indicate the student's name and student identification number with any payment information to allow us to properly credit the account.

Note: Payments returned for any reason will result in a $25.00 charge.

Pay Online
  • Students wishing to pay their bill online by ACH, credit/debit card or through Flywire may do so by accessing our secured web-portal through SIS.
  • Parents who have been granted payer access wishing to pay their student's bill online may do so by accessing
  • There is a 2.75% service charge for domestic credit card use and 4.25% for international credit card use.
Pay By Mail

Student payments may be made with check or cash (in-person only).

  • Make your check or money order payable to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
  • Include your Rensselaer ID number (RIN) and the term on the face of your check.

Student payments may be mailed to:

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Bursar’s Office/Academy Hall
110 Eighth Street
Troy, NY 12180-3590

The Rensselaer Tuition Payment Plan

Students wishing to enroll in the Rensselaer Tuition Payment Plan must do so each semester. To set up your pay plan, please sign into SIS

To help fit the cost of education into your family’s budget, Rensselaer partners with Transact to offer monthly payment options that allow you to spread your academic expenses over time; up to 5 months in the fall , up to 5 months in the spring and up to 4 months in the summer semester. The number of months of your pay plan is dependent upon the date you enroll in it.   Payments for the plan are due on the 15th of each month. Enrollment for The Rensselaer Tuition Payment Plan opens when semester charges have been assessed. Typically, charges are assessed during the first week of the month - Fall: July, Spring: December, Summer: April.  You will be prompted to setup a plan to cover the balance left after financial aid and/or loans reflected on your student account. A fee of $35 is assessed each semester a student elects to use the payment plan. The $35 enrollment fee plus the first payment for the payment plan is due upon enrollment in the plan.

Deadlines: Students can enroll in the pay plan until:

  • May 31, 2023 for the summer plan
  • September 30, 2023 for the fall plan.
  • February 28, 2024 for the spring plan.

*Please note that both the eBills and payment plans are both managed through Transact.

International Student Payments

We have partnered with Flywire to offer an innovative and streamlined way to make international tuition payments. Flywire saves students money on bank fees and foreign exchange rates. Flywire offers faster payment postings, tracking of payment processes, and email notifications.

Please go to your CASHNet account in SIS, select MAKE A PAYMENT on the left and then INTERNATIONAL PAYMENT to pay by Flywire.  You may also click on the red PAY YOUR BILL button on the top right of this page.


Former Students

If you are no longer a student and need to make a payment to pay off a past due balance, please make your payment here.




Fees and Refunds

2023-2024 Tuition Charges & Fees - includes Summer '23, Fall '23, Spring '24


$30,180.00 per semester for all full time students with up to 23 credits (includes Summer 2023 Arch)
$1,260.00 per credit hour for any credits over 23
$2,520.00 per credit hour for all part time students (including non-matriculated students)

Health Center Fee:    $375.00 per semester

UG Activity Fee:        $387.00 per semester

Health Insurance:    $1000.00 per semester *(pending approval)*  (must be waived by deadline - refer to Health Center page)

*Please Note*: 

  • Tuition and fees described above apply to in-person, hybrid, and/or remote instruction. No refunds or credits will be provided should there be a change in course format (ie. full remote instruction) due to pandemic or any other reason.
  • During the summer semester, students will be billed per credit hour as part time students unless they are participating in the Arch summer semester (UG) or in a program that requires a full-time summer semester.


$30,180.00 per semester for all full time students with up to 16 credits
$2,520.00 per credit hour for all part time students or full time students with over 16 credits (including non-matriculated students)
$2,010.00 per credit hour for students enrolled in Education for Working Professionals (EWP) programs

Please contact the The Office of Graduate Education for further details on tuition pricing policies for graduate students.

Health Center Fee:    $375.00 per semester

Grad Activity Fee:      $288.00 per semester

Dental Insurance:      $88.50 per semester (must be waived by deadline - refer to Health Center page)

Health Insurance:      $1000.00 per semester *(pending approval)*(must be waived by deadline - refer to Health Center page)

*Please Note*: 

  • Tuition and fees apply to in-person, hybrid, and/or remote instruction.  No refunds or credits will be provided should there be a change in course format (ie. full remote instruction) due to pandemic or any other reason.
  • During the summer semester, students will be billed per credit hour as part time students unless they are participating in the Arch summer semester (UG) or in a program that requires a full-time summer semester.

Current Tuition and Fees

See our current Tuition and other fees at

Room & Board Charges

Charges are determined by the latest information available from the Office of Residence Life and from Hospitality Services. If you have questions regarding your housing assignment or charges, or your meal plan or charges, please contact Residence Life at (518) 276-6284.

If you have Overpaid

All payments received, including financial aid payments, will be applied to your account.

  • In the event of an overpayment on your student account, a refund will be processed within 14 days.  We request that you do not make payment in excess of the balance due after guaranteed aid is considered, whether or not it has paid to your student account.  Refunds will be sent to your local address, if being sent by check, unless you specifically request that it be sent to a different address. You may make requests by calling or coming to the Bursar's Office.  Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute reserves the right to determine the appropriate refund method based on the payment method used.
  • Parent PLUS loan users: the check will be sent to the parent borrower unless otherwise requested, in writing, by the parent.
  • Payment plan: you may reduce your contract by the deadline dates shown in the Monthly Installment Plan section above or receive a refund at the end of the term.
  • Direct Deposit: If you would like to have your excess funds direct deposited in to your bank account, please complete our Direct Deposit Form.

Students who officially withdraw from the Institute or reduce the number of credits for which they are registered may be entitled to an adjustment of charges or a refund of amounts paid.

  • Any refund or adjustment will be based on the official drop/withdrawal date.
  • Official written notification of withdrawal must be submitted to the Student Experience Office or to the Office of Graduate Education as applicable.

Tuition refunds are made according to this schedule during the fall and spring terms:

Official drop date

Credit adjustment

Less than one week


Less than two weeks


Less than three weeks


Less than four weeks


Less than six weeks


Less than seven weeks


Less than nine weeks


More than nine weeks


*Graduate students registered for only one credit should contact their Graduate Program Director for information.*

Activity and health fees are nonrefundable except where withdrawal is made prior to the first day of the semester.

Late Fees

Any balance not paid or covered by financial aid by the due date noted on any bill will be subject to a late payment fee of $250.

In addition, students will have a "hold" placed on their records where they will be unable to receive grades, register for classes, or receive diplomas. See Retrieving Records for more information. 

If any amount is still outstanding at the end of the term, Rensselaer will require you to take a leave of absence. Re-admittance will be contingent upon payment of money owed plus full payment in advance for the next term.

Should you fail to pay amounts due, the Institute may increase the amounts due by any attorney and collection agency fees, or any other costs or charges incurred in the collection of any amount not paid when due.

If you have been assessed a late fee please read the following:

  1. Late fee appeals may only be done through email to
  2. Appeals are only approved in rare instances involving extreme and unusual circumstances. Examples are medical emergencies or severe personal hardships such as a loss of job or family member. These circumstances must be supplemented and justified in writing with supporting documentation. You may only appeal your late fee if you fall into these categories.
  3. Not receiving a bill is not acceptable justification enough to warrant an appeal.
  4. Once you file an appeal, it is reviewed by an Appeals Committee.
  5. The decision of the Committee is final.
  6. If your appeal is ultimately denied, you may not file another appeal. Please make sure you are completely thorough in your initial request.
Tuition Insurance

We’re pleased to announce we’ve partnered with GradGuard™ to offer the Tuition Protection Plan from Allianz Global Assistance. We believe it’s important our students and families have access to affordable protection for their major investment in higher education. Protect your education—and future—today at

Text Block

Third Party Billing

Third-Party Billing is a method of billing in which an entity, (company, corporation, or other government agency) has established special billing arrangements to cover tuition and mandatory fees for students that it sponsors. This entity receives and makes payments against special bills mailed directly to a third-party office, and does not remit payment directly to a student's university-generated bill.

The sponsor must submit a letter of authorization to the Office of the Bursar. The letter from the sponsor should include:

  1. Student's name
  2. Student's Rensselaer ID number
  3. Semester or duration of program
  4. Charges for which the student is responsible
  5. Address to send the bill
  6. Contact person's name, email and telephone number

Please address inquiries and payments as follows:

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Bursar's Office/Academy Hall
110 8th Street
Troy, NY 12180-3590
Attn: Third Party Billing


Financial Aid: Renewals

Outstanding Requirements and Balances
  • Review your SIS account to check for any outstanding requirements necessary for receiving and/or finalizing your financial aid award.
  • Registration time tickets are emailed to students prior to the next semester's registration period. Please read this time ticket carefully as it will notify you if there are any issues that could prevent you from registering for the next semester.
  • If you continue to have an outstanding balance after all of your financial aid has been posted to your account, contact the Financial Aid Office.
  • Accounts must be paid in full or paid with financial aid in order to register for the next semester.
  • New York State Awards: All Tap, New York Award for Academic Excellence, and other miscellaneous state award recipients must be completed and submitted to New York State Higher Education Services Corporation in order to finalize your actual award.
Direct Loan Promissory Notes & Entrance Counseling

Each of the following must be completed prior to the disbursement of your Direct Loans:

• Accepting the amount you wish to borrow on your SIS record. Loans are not originated and disbursed to your account until you accept them.
• Completion of a Master Promissory Note online.
• Completion of Entrance Counseling Session. This is also only required for 1st time recipients and can be completed online.

More information about the process can be found here:

PLUS Loans for Parents

Parents who are interested in borrowing the PLUS loan are responsible for applying online here: Assuming approval, parents are also required to complete a Master Promissory Note.

More information about the PLUS loan can be found here:

New York State TAP for Undergraduates

If you are an eligible New York resident, you must apply to the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation using (undergraduate) school code 0635. Use only your current estimated TAP award listed on your financial aid certificate to reduce your payment. An undergraduate student must be registered for at least 12 credits during the fall and spring terms and for 6 credits during the summer sessions, in order to be eligible for TAP.

Work Study

These earnings are paid directly to students when hours are worked. If you have a work-study award, it does not appear on your bill and will not be used to reduce your balance.

Financial Aid On Your Bill

Your bill reflects financial aid offered by the Office of Financial Aid and is viewable on your student account on SIS. If you are expecting aid that is not included on your bill, contact the Financial Aid Office.

Outside Aid

You may have an outside scholarship or other financial aid that is not preprinted on your bill but will come to Rensselaer on your behalf. Before you can deduct such aid from your current balance, you must send us a letter from the donor organization which includes your name as recipient, amount of award, and period of study for which the award is granted. You may use this aid to reduce your balance only for the term the aid is awarded.

If you use aid to reduce your balance without supporting documentation, the award cannot be honored and resulting balances owed are subject to the $250 late payment fee. If the scholarship is paid directly to you, you may not use it to reduce your payment to us.

Research and Teaching Assistants

Graduate students only

Your tuition will be paid through our Graduate Aid process. However, you are responsible for health and activity fees as well as any other miscellaneous charges. Be sure to review your account for charges not covered by your assistantship.


1098-T Details

Rensselaer has partnered with Heartland ECSI to offer you the opportunity to receive your 1098-T Tuition Statement electronically. 1098-Ts will be provided by January 31st. If electronic consent is not received by January 1st, the 1098-T will be mailed to your permanent address on file.

1098-T Electronic Consent

Two tax credits, the Hope Scholarship Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit, took effect in 1998 to help families reduce out-of-pocket expenses for tutition and certain expenses paid to a postsecondary institution that participates in federal student aid programs.

  • The Hope Credit provides a credit of up to $1,500 for a student who is enrolled at least half time in one of the first two years of postsecondary education. This credit can be claimed for only two taxable years.
  • The Lifetime Learning Credit provides a credit of up to $2,000 per year for a student taking courses, including graduate-level degree work. This credit can be claimed for as long as the student is enrolled in an eligible educational institution.
Who qualifies for these credits and what are the income limitations?

Only taxpayers qualify for these credits. If you do not pay taxes and are claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return, they may qualify for a credit. A taxpayer may qualify if:

  • The taxpayer (you or your parents or guardian who claim you as a dependent) is paying for higher education costs for the taxpayer or their dependents.
  • The taxpayer's Modified Adjusted Gross Income (see IRS Form 1040 or 1040A as applicable) is within IRS defined limits (under $52,000 or $105,000 if you file a joint return).

There are certain limitations specific to each of these credits. The college you attend cannot determine if you qualify for one of these tax credits or the amount of the credit due you. If you believe you might qualify, you should obtain the following and review all the criteria carefully.

What is the basis for determining the amount of tax credit?

The tax credit amounts are determined by the amount you paid for eligible tuition and related expenses and your income:

  • The amount of the Hope Scholarship Credit is 100% of the first $1,000 plus 50% of the next $1,000 you paid for each eligible student's qualified tuition and related expenses from January to December. The maximum credit is $1,500 per eligible student.
  • The amount of the Lifetime Learning Credit is 20% of the first $10,000 you paid for qualified tuition and related expenses for any eligible students in the family from January to December. The maximum credit is $2,000 per family.

IRS Publication 970 explains which tuition and fee expenses qualify and which payments qualify for the tax credits.

To receive either tax credit, you must account for and document the amount you have paid for tuition and expenses on IRS Form 8863 and file it with your federal income tax return. You do not file Form 1098-T with your tax records.

We provide Form 1098-T to document your enrollment, whether or not you are a graduate student and summary financial information. To calculate your tax credit, refer to your own records (tuition bills, receipts etc.) and consult IRS Publication 970 or your tax professional. Keep Form 1098-T with your tax records.

Where can I get more Information?

See IRS Publication 970 and IRS Form 8863 for more information. To obtain copies, call 800/TAX-FORM or go to You may also want to consult a professional tax advisor or resource.

How can I access my form 1098-T?

Go to:

Type your school name under the school name box.  Select your school and click "Submit".

Type in your First Name, Last Name, SSN and Zip Code, check the "I'm not a robot box" and click “Continue”.  (The information you enter needs to match what was submitted in the 1098T file.)

On the line for 1098-T Statement, click “View Details”.

Click “View/Print Statement” for the year applicable.

If you need help you can contact the Heartland/ECSI 1098T customer service department at 866-428-1098.