The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning for the Capital Region, including the Troy campus, from 4 p.m. Saturday, January 19, to 4 p.m. Sunday, January 20. A Winter Storm Warning means significant amounts of snow, sleet, and ice, making travel very hazardous or impossible. The forecast indicates that a total accumulation of 12 to 20 inches is expected for the Capital Region, with travel being very difficult to impossible across the region Saturday night into Sunday morning.
In response to the expected snowfall and related hazardous conditions, the Institute will implement the following schedule changes impacting student transportation services and access to key buildings on campus:
- The late-night weekend Shuttle Bus will not operate Saturday night and Sunday morning. The normal schedule for the late-night shuttle bus from 8 p.m. Saturday evening to 4 a.m. Sunday morning is suspended due to the expected weather.
- The Sunday Shuttle Bus schedule will be delayed on Sunday and will begin operating at noon.
- The Safe Ride Program will not operate Saturday night and Sunday morning. The Safe Ride Program will resume normal schedule on Sunday evening at 7 p.m.
- The Student Union will close at 10 p.m. on Saturday night and reopen at 11 am on Sunday.
- The facilities at the ECAV will close at 10 p.m. on Saturday night and reopen at 11 a.m. on Sunday.
- The Folsom Library and the Architecture Library will close at 6 p.m. on Saturday and will reopen at 3 p.m. on Sunday.
- Student access to the Voorhees Computing Center will be closed at 10 p.m. Saturday and will be reopened at noon on Sunday.
- MOE's will close at 10 p.m. on Saturday and reopen at 11:30 a.m. on Sunday.
- On Sunday, all residential dining halls will operate on a normal schedule.
The Winter Storm Warning issued by the National Weather Service also indicates that the potential for blowing and drifting snow will increase Sunday afternoon into the evening, with winds chills falling well below zero. The snow will be followed by the coldest temperatures of the year Sunday and Monday nights. Please ensure all windows and doors are closed tightly and immediately report any leaks from broken water pipes to Public Safety. Members of the Rensselaer community should monitor this storm and its potentially dangerous conditions and temperatures. The National Weather Service information is available at: www.weather.gov.