Resources & Documents

Text Block

Find A Program or Access Your Account

Search for available programs, apply to a program or view travel registry information.

Quick Links

Text Block

European Credit Transfer System

The European Credit Transfer System, was developed by the European Commission (EC) in order to provide common procedures to guarantee academic recognition of studies abroad. It provides a way of measuring and comparing learning achievements, and transferring them from one institution to another. In the ECTS system, 60 credits represent the workload of a year of study; normally 30 credits are given for a semester.

>> For more information contact the European Commission on Education and Training

Exchange Program Transfer Equivalency Guide

Many European universities issue credits per ECTS guidelines , or in both their own systems and ECTS . Per ECTS, 60 credits represent the workload of an academic year of study. At Rensselaer, the following guidelines are used with regard to the transfer of ECTS credits:

  • 10 ECTS = 5 Rensselaer credits
  • 5 ECTS = 3 Rensselaer credits
File Collection

Grading and Credit Equivalencies

Please refer to the Exchange Program Transfer Equivalency Guide for information on grading and credit equivalencies at Rensselaer's partner institutions.

File Collection

Study Abroad Guide


Funding and Scholarship Opportunities

The Office of International Programs encourages students to pursue various scholarship opportunities. The following scholarships opportunities are available:

Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals (CBYX)

The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals, (CBYX) is a yearlong fellowship to study and intern in Germany. CBYX is open to applicants in all career fields, though preference is given to students in STEM fields, agriculture, business, and vocational fields. Students traditionally underrepresented in study abroad opportunities are especially encouraged to apply. Prior German language knowledge is not required, though it is preferred.

More information can be found at

The CBYX program annually provides 75 participants with:

  • 2 months intensive German language training
  • 1 semester of study at a German university or university of applied sciences
  • 5-month internship with a German company in the participant’s career field
  • Transatlantic airfare, health insurance, and monthly living expense stipends
  • Local in-country support throughout the program



RISE is a summer internship program for undergraduate students from the United States, Canada and the UK in the fields of biology, chemistry, physics, earth sciences and engineering. RISE offers unique opportunities for Bachelor students to work with research groups at universities and top research institutions across Germany for a period of 2 to 3 months during the summer. RISE interns are matched with doctoral students whom they assist and who serve as their mentors. The working language will be English. All scholarship holders receive stipends from the DAAD to help cover living expenses, while partner universities & research institutes provide housing assistance.

Learn more about this scholarship opportunity and how to apply.

Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program

A program of the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, the Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program offers intensive summer language institutes in thirteen critical foreign languages. The selection process is administered by American Councils for International Education with awards approved by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. The CLS Program is administered by American Councils and The Ohio State University/Ohio University.

Learn more about the CLS Program and how to apply

Boren Awards

Boren Scholarships and Fellowships provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interests, and underrepresented in study abroad, including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East.

Learn more about the Boren Awards and how to apply

BUTEX North American Scholarships

The Scholarship is open to all undergraduate students currently registered at an institution in the USA or Canada. To be eligible to apply you must have been offered a study abroad or exchange place at a UK university which is BUTEX affiliated. Your study abroad or exchange place must be for a minimum of one semester.

The value of each scholarship is £500 and will be paid to the winners once they have arrived and registered at their host university.

For further details of how to apply for this scholarship please see

IIEPassport Study Abroad Funding

IIEPassport Study Abroad is a comprehensive online database that allows students to search for scholarships, fellowship, and grants for international experiences.

Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program

The Gilman Scholarship Program offers awards for undergraduate study abroad and was established by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000. This scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study abroad programs worldwide.

For students applying for any academic term (academic year, fall, spring or summer) please find the eligibility requirements below:

  • Enrolled as an undergraduate student at a two or four-year U.S. Institution
  • United States citizen
  • Receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application or during the term of study abroad
  • Participating in a study abroad program that is no less than 4 weeks (28 days) in one country and no more than an academic year
  • Receiving academic credit
  • Study in any country not currently under a U.S. State Department Travel Warning or Cuba

Learn more about this scholarship opportunity and how to apply.


Freeman-ASIA accepts applications from U.S. citizens or permanent residents studying at the undergraduate level at a two-year or four-year college or university who demonstrate financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia. A Freeman-ASIA Award provides need-based funding to assist the recipient with the cost of the study abroad program and related expenses, including airfare, basic living costs, local transportation, books, etc. 

Learn more about this scholarship opportunity and how to apply.