You are welcome here. You belong here. We support you here.

Other Visa Types

The most common type of Exchange Visitor at RPI is short-term scholar or research scholar. There are also scholars on other visa types, such as B-1/B-2 and Visa Waiver Program (ESTA). In order for individuals to do research at RPI, they must be approved through Export Control.

For departments who wish to bring a visiting researcher to Rensselaer, see the Short-Term International Visitor Request Form:

To become approved, individuals work with their inviting department to submit documentation to ISSS. ISSS then submits documentation to Export Control, which is a process that can take over one month to be completed. ISSS is notified when Export Control makes a determination regarding the scholar and then notifies the department.

Within one week of entry to the U.S., the scholar must check in with ISSS. For more instructions on this process, please email ISSS at

This page was last updated on: February 24, 2020.

Text Block

B-1/B-2 Visitor - General Information

Please note: The B-1/B-2 visa is only appropriate for very specific activities. More information on the B-1/B-2 visa visit U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and  U.S. Department of State – Bureau of Consular Affairs.

Only visitors who would otherwise apply for B visas are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (ESTA). For details, visit:

Individuals on B-1/B-2 or ESTA are not eligible to receive financial remuneration.