The Office of Military Science offers an elective program to qualify male and female students for commissions as officers in the U.S. Army.
The Army ROTC program has two phases: a basic course, normally taken during the freshman and sophomore years, and an advanced course, normally taken during the junior and senior years.
- Army ROTC scholarships are awarded to high school seniors and first- and second-year Army ROTC students.
- Army ROTC instruction is provided on campus for first- and second-year students, and at Siena College for juniors and seniors.
Army ROTC is a college elective that teaches you the skills needed for a successful career. You'll combine classroom time with hands-on experience, and learn leadership and management skills. Additionally, because it's an elective, you can try it out for up to two years. Whatever you decide, the experience you'll have in Army ROTC will give you the confidence you need to be a success in college and beyond. Whether you choose a career in the Army or the corporate world, Army ROTC is "the smartest college course you can take."
- Basic Leadership Skills
- Basic Soldier Skills (navigation, riflery, military orientation)
- Confidence, Team Building
- Army History and Traditions
- How to Function Under Stress
- A Full or Part Time Job (Active Duty Lieutenants start at about $ 49,869.85/year according to Army Times)
- Help with College Expenses (100% on full tuition scholarships)
- RPI only extends room and board for all contracted cadets with a full tuition scholarship (a value of $5,210 a semester)
- Physical Fitness
Bravo Company is located at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and is a part of Siena College.
Admissions Requirements for Incoming Students
Benefits to enrolling in ROTC at Siena College
- Free tuition, fees, room and board through ROTC scholarship
- Develop leadership and management skills through specialized curriculum
- Graduate as a commissioned officer in the U.S. Army
Army ROTC scholarships help students pay their tuition while training to become an officer. Students may qualify for two, three and four-year scholarships based on future goals. Scholarship qualifications differ slightly, but all are very competitive. In addition to the awarded scholarship, each recipient receives a flat rate of $1,200 annually for books, supplies and equipment, as well as up to $1,500 in tax-free spending funds. Army ROTC scholarships also provide monthly living allowances for each school year; amounts vary ($300 - $500 per month) based on curriculum level.
There are two different tracks for a contracted scholarship student.
- 4 years active duty, followed by four years in reserve or inactive reserve
- 8 years reserve part-time (one weekend a month, two weeks a summer)
- GPA of 2.5 or better
- Take Military Science course (1 class meeting per week)
- Leadership lab (2 hours per week)
- Physical training (3 times/week in the morning)
ROTC is an elective curriculum that provides exceptional leadership training that is applicable to any career. In addition to Siena’s traditional liberal arts curriculum, ROTC students take specialized coursework that includes classes in military science, leadership and management. Students who complete the four-year program will be commissioned as an officer in the U.S. Army.