Epic journeys begin at Rensselaer. Here's to the innovators, scientists, artists, and creators.
We are delighted that you are joining the Rensselaer community and look forward to meeting you during Student Transitions Week 2022! We have been working hard to put together programming that you will find useful and enjoyable. Transfer Student Orientation marks the beginning of your membership into the Rensselaer community and is an opportunity for you to gain the tools necessary to ensure a smooth transition into Rensselaer. As you begin to finalize your plans, you will receive a welcome email to get started. Please do not hesitate to contact us at (518) 276-6655 or email email@example.com with any questions you have. Get excited, your Rensselaer experience is about to begin!
Student Transitions Week will cover the following:
- Transitioning Successfully to Rensselaer
- Academic Advising and Schedule Finalizations
- Credit Evaluations
- Health Services
- Financial Aid Services
- Rensselaer IDs
- Campus Resources and Engagement
- On Campus Housing Requirement
- Covid-19 Compliance and Protocols
- The Arch Requirement for Rensselaer Students
- Student Accounts and Billing
Incoming Transfer Students Communication Timeline for Spring 2022 Admission
Communications will begin December 13, 2021 for all incoming Transfer students for Spring 2022. Please see the full schedule of Communications and Student Transitions Week schedule for your planning purposes:
Monday - December 13, 2021: Welcome Newsletter to Transfers who have completed deposits & Preparation for upcoming Course Registrations.
Wednesday - December 15, 2021: Course Advisement Registration begins and Transfer Check List reminders.
Friday - December 17, 2021: Transfer Check-List Reminders and Follow-up before winter break begins
Tuesday - December 21, 2021: Winter Break Correspondence, Preparation for Student Transitions Week 2022
Student Transitions Week Schedule: 2022
Monday - January 3, 2022 (4pm EST - 5pm EST): Student Transitions Week Overview and Welcome - Online with Director Felder
Wednesday - January 5, 2022 (All Day): Advising, Course Finalizations, Credit Evaluations Online - (Scheduled 1 on 1 for Each Transfer Student)
Thursday January 6, 2022 Residential Follow-up Residential Move-In with Student Living and Learning Team has been delayed for added safety to the Rensselaer Community. Details from the Residential team will be forth coming.
Friday January 7, 2022 11:30am EST: The Arch Requirement Presentation with Director Felder/Q&A (Students, this session's recording is unavailable. However, here is a link from Fall transfer orientation that discusses the same information we spoke of today.)
**A student survey will follow the week after**
If you have not already done so, please notify Disability Services for Students at (518) 276-8197 and the Office for Student Transitions at (518) 276-6655 of any special needs you may have to help ensure that we are prepared to assist you prior to the start of the term.
Prior to Student Transitions Week
- Review the Rensselaer Course Catalog and class hour schedule online at http://sis.rpi.edu to see which classes are offered ahead of time
- Register for your first semester courses online
- You will have the opportunity to connect with an academic adviser from your department or school to help you determine which courses to take your first semester
- While you may not get your first choice of classes, you will be able to get a full schedule that will apply towards your graduation requirements
Time has been set aside for you to ask evaluation-specific questions regarding your credits.
Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences
Information Technology and Web Science
- Your welcome packet will contain the Rensselaer courses you have received credit for
- You will have the opportunity to speak with your adviser prior to orientation to determine if you should take the next course level
To get ready for Calculus I, review the book “Ready… Set… Calculus.” The Math Department has also prepared an online version and a sample quiz that you may want to take and review. It is strongly encouraged that you review this information!
- Send in the paper immunization form that your physician’s office completes and signs.
- Visit the Student Health Center website to complete the four forms via the Online Health Portal (click on the “new student” tab).
- All full-time students must have health insurance that will provide on-going, routine care in Troy, NY. To meet this requirement you must either enroll in or waive out of (with comparable insurance) the RPI health insurance plan. You can enroll or waive via the Online Health Portal (deadline is September 15).
- AlcoholEdu and Haven are mandatory online education courses that will open on July 31. Part 1 needs to be completed as soon as possible. Part 2 must be completed 45 days after classes begin.
The charge for Transfer Student Orientation is a one time fee of $175. This fee will appear on your student account bill, please do not send money.
For questions regarding Rensselaer billing and payments, contact:
The Arch Program is an integral part of each student's academic career at RPI. Transfers come to campus with diverse backgrounds that will support their away semester. For more information on the Arch Program and how it will effect your transfer student, please view this information video here. For any questions, comments or concerns regarding the Arch Program as it pertains to transfers, please contact the Student Transitions Office.
(Video upload as of Spring 2021)
Transfer Student FAQs to Consider:
Q. Do I need to be vaccinated to attend RPI?
A. Yes, all students, faculty, and staff are required to be vaccinated against Covid-19. If you have a medical or religious accommodation request, please email the firstname.lastname@example.org. All Rensselaer students are also required to complete weekly testing, DIAL app check-ins, and wear masks in classroom spaces on campus. For more information related to Covid-19 protocols review them on the Covid-19 Website
Q. When will I register for courses? Who should I contact for advisement and planning?
A. Incoming transfer students will begin registration on December 15, 2022. If you do not receive a registration time ticket in SIS (Student Information System), please email email@example.com. All transfers should receive proper advisement from their department prior to registration. Contacts are noted above.
Q. As a transfer student, do I have to live on-campus in the Residential Commons?
A. Yes, all transfer students are required to live on-campus during the transition, in addition to first-year students, sophomores, and The Arch summer term. If you are a transfer student who needs a housing waiver request reviewed, please complete the form and connect with Student Living and Learning firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q. Do I need to complete The Arch summer and semester away requirement?
A. The amount of credits accepted by Rensselaer will determine the students classification upon their transition. Those who enter with sophomore classification or below are required to complete both The Arch summer term and semester away. Those who enter with Junior classification will only be required to complete the away term portion. A presentation will detail the requirement and how to properly register for Arch summer and/or semester away in SIS. Any questions pertaining to the requirement please email email@example.com