The Arch semester away allows students the opportunity to participate in a variety of academic activities abroad, including affiliated exchanges and non-affiliated study abroad, and research. The Office of International Programs will support students in their search for a suitable opportunity for the Arch semester away.
- Pay regular Rensselaer tuition
- Rensselaer and federal financial aid apply, subject to availability
- Transfer credit towards Rensselaer degree
- As of fall 2024, students who participate in an affiliated exchange may apply for an Arch summer exemption
Non-Affiliated Study Abroad
- Pay tuition and fees of program provider
- Rensselaer aid does not apply, but students may use federal financial aid, subject to eligibility
- Transfer credit towards undergraduate degree, subject to Institute transfer credit policies.
- Participate in Arch summer
International students must carefully consider the immigration implications of their semester choices. If you are an international student, please discuss your options with ISSS in coordination with the offices involved in approving your experience.
Research opportunities are available at the Technical University of Dresden (TUD), and may be possible at other affiliated partner instutions. These non-credit experiences will allow students to gain valuable research experience in a wide variety of scientific fields. Please click below for additional information about opportunies at TUD. For information about other possible affiliated research opportunities, please contact OIP staff.
The TUD Internship Program offers student the opportunity to gain cutting-edge research experience in a wide variety of scientific fields. Participants will work in a state of the-art laboratory under the guidance of leading TUD Scientists. A stipend is offered for this experience.>> Apply now
Students may pursue research or volunteer opportunities at non-affiliated institutions worldwide. Please note that Rensselaer has no formal affiliation with non-affiliated universities/organizations. Students are highly encouraged to seek information about and check references for any opportunity that they wish to pursue.
Students will be responsible for all program costs related to their chosen Semester Away international experience. Non-credit research opportunities at affiliated institutions will not have a tuition charge, but students will be expected to pay for their own travel and living expenses. Students who participate in regular affiliated exchange programs will pay Rensselaer tuition and may use one of their eight semesters of financial aid, subject to eligibility. Please direct all financial aid questions to the Office of Financial Aid. Important: students should not pay deposits or program fees to any program provider until the experience has been approved by Rensselaer.
Please click the link below to view possible study abroad and international research, volunteer and funding opportunities that may be good options for the Semester Away of the Arch.
- Some opportunities are for U.S. citizens or permanent residents only
- Some opportunities are for summer programs – you are encouraged to contact the sponsoring organizations to inquire about possible opportunities during the academic year
- While some opportunities are funded, others require a program fee
- Carefully review the website for each program to determine eligibility criteria and financial details