Epic journeys begin at Rensselaer. Here's to the innovators, scientists, artists, and creators.
We are delighted that you are joining the Rensselaer community and look forward to meeting you at Transfer Student Orientation (TSO). We have been working hard to put together a program that you will find useful and enjoyable. TSO marks the beginning of your membership into the Rensselaer community and is an opportunity for you to gain the tools necessary to ensure a smooth transition into Rensselaer. As you begin to finalize your plans, please do not hesitate to contact us at (518) 276-6655 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you have. Get excited, your Rensselaer experience is about to begin!
Orientation will cover the following:
- Transitioning Successfully to Rensselaer
- Academic Advising and Schedule Finalizations
- Credit Evaluations
- Health Services
- Financial Aid Services
- Rensselaer IDs
- Campus Resources and Engagement
Incoming Transfer Students Communication Timeline for Fall 2021 Admission
Transfer Student Orientation Fall 2021 will be held virtually to accommodate the necessary COVID-19 protocols on campus. Please check back for a full break down of the Transfer Student Orientation Week events. Please make sure to register for Transfer Student Orientation here.
Monday - June 7, 2021 : Welcome Newsletter to Transfers who have completed deposits
Monday - June 28, 2021 : Welcome Newsletter to Transfers who have complete deposits after June 7th and Transfer To - Do List
Wednesday - July 14, 2021 : Second Correspondence from the Office of Student Transitions
Sunday - August 1, 2021 : Third Correspondence from the Office of Student Transitions
Monday - August 2 - 27: Advisement Begins
Monday - August 9 - 27: Class Registration Online
Monday - August 23, 2021 (11:30 am EST) : Transfer Student Orientation 2021 - Session Replay
Monday - August 23, 2021 (4:00 pm EST): Arch Discovery Day Opening Session Replay
Tuesday - August 24, 2021 (11:00 am EST) : The Arch for Transfer Student Experience Replay
Thursday - August 26, 2021 (1 pm EST - 2 pm EST) : The Class Dean Meet and Greet! Replay
If you have not already done so, please notify Disability Services for Students at (518) 276-8197 and the Office for Student Transitions at (518) 276-6655 of any special needs you may have to help ensure that we are prepared to assist you prior to the start of the fall term.
Prior to Transfer Student Orientation (TSO)
- Review the Rensselaer Course Catalog and class hour schedule online at http://sis.rpi.edu to see which classes are offered ahead of time
- Register for your first semester courses online
- You will have the opportunity to connect with an academic adviser from your department or school to help you determine which courses to take your first semester
- While you may not get your first choice of classes, you will be able to get a full schedule that will apply towards your graduation requirements
Time has been set aside prior to TSO for you to ask evaluation-specific questions regarding your credits.
Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences
Information Technology and Web Science
- Your welcome packet will contain the Rensselaer courses you have received credit for
- You will have the opportunity to speak with your adviser prior to orientation to determine if you should take the next course level
To get ready for Calculus I, review the book “Ready… Set… Calculus.” The Math Department has also prepared an online version and a sample quiz that you may want to take and review. It is strongly encouraged that you review this information!
- Send in the paper immunization form that your physician’s office completes and signs.
- Visit the Student Health Center website to complete the four forms via the Online Health Portal (click on the “new student” tab).
- All full-time students must have health insurance that will provide on-going, routine care in Troy, NY. To meet this requirement you must either enroll in or waive out of (with comparable insurance) the RPI health insurance plan. You can enroll or waive via the Online Health Portal (deadline is September 15).
- AlcoholEdu and Haven are mandatory online education courses that will open on July 31. Part 1 needs to be completed as soon as possible. Part 2 must be completed 45 days after classes begin.
The charge for Transfer Student Orientation is a one time fee of $175. This fee will appear on your student account bill, please do not send money.
For questions regarding Rensselaer billing and payments, contact:
The Arch Program is an integral part of each student's academic career at RPI. Transfers come to campus with diverse backgrounds that will support their away semester. For more information on the Arch Program and how it will effect your transfer student, please view this information video here. For any questions, comments or concerns regarding the Arch Program as it pertains to transfers, please contact the Student Transitions Office.
(Video upload as of Spring 2021)