Campus parking kiosks are available in several metered parking locations. The parking kiosks accept credit cards and coins. The minimum to use a credit card is $2. The City of Troy provides metered parking spaces on the street surrounding the main campus.
Metered parking is in effect Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The “D” permit is the only valid permit allowed in metered spaces in any RPI lot.
There are electric vehicle charging stations located around the campus. They are a part of the "Chargepoint network" and users must be registered with the third-party service. Locations can be easily identified within the network search feature. All campus permit holders are welcome to park and charge on a first-come, first-serve basis. There is a station maximum of 4 hours of charge.
- A valid driver’s license and State or Province vehicle registration are required to park on Rensselaer property.
- Permit and lot regulations are in effect year-round, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Service, handicapped, public safety, and restricted parking areas are still enforced 24 hours a day.
- The campus speed limit is 15 miles per hour.
- All campus roadways are fire lanes. Vehicles parked in fire lanes without being equipped with emergency flashers, flashers turned on and for more than 10 minutes, can be ticketed and towed.
- For life safety, a duly licensed driver must remain in a vehicle parking, stopping or standing in the JEC circle at any time. Violators will be ticketed and towed at owner’s expense.
- Vehicles are not allowed on unpaved areas, (except gravel lots), walkways, building plazas, curbs and other areas. See the campus delivery routes map [PDF].
- The Institute is under no obligation to mark all areas where parking is prohibited. It is the responsibility of the vehicle operator to park in accordance with the regulations. Lack of signs does not imply lack of enforcement.
- Overnight parking is not allowed in the AS&RC lot.
- Cars parked in handicapped spaces without a valid Rensselaer and handicapped permit issued by a state or local government may be ticketed and towed. Rensselaer does not issue handicapped permits; these can be obtained from a state or local government.
- Credit card payments are accepted.
All faculty, staff, students, affiliates, vendors, and visitors are responsible for all tickets incurred by them, vehicles under their control, or their visitors.
Permit and lot regulations are in effect year round, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Service, handicap, public safety, and restricted parking areas are enforced 24 hours a day.
- Expired Meter or Hangtag Not Displayed: $11
- Wrong Permit or No Permit: $31
- Travel Lane or Parking Prohibited: $31
- Fire Lanes and Fire Hydrants: $41
- Hindering Snow Removal: $41
- Failure to comply with a traffic device. $101
- Disabled (Handicapped): $101
- Unauthorized use of Permit/Hang tag: $151
- All other violations*: $151
*Any vehicle parked on campus without a valid (or expired) State or Province registration.
Community Member Appeals
Parking tickets can be appealed using the online appeal form, or by emailing the ticket with explanation to email@example.com. These appeal forms must be received in the Parking & Transportation Office at 2144 Burdett Avenue within ten calendar days of receipt of a ticket. Vehicles with multiple and/or delinquent tickets lose the right to appeal those tickets.
Parking tickets can be appealed using the visitor appeals form., or by emailing the ticket with explanation of appeal to firstname.lastname@example.org. These appeal forms must be received in the Parking & Transportation Office at 2144 Burdett Avenue within ten calendar days of receipt of a ticket. Vehicles with multiple and/or delinquent tickets lose the right to appeal those tickets.
Vehicles with delinquent tickets valued at $100.00 or more may be booted (wheel lock/windshield device) or towed at the expense of the owner.
An additional fee of $50.00 will be charged for the first 24 hours of wheel lock/windshield device application, or any part thereof. An added fee of $25.00 for each additional 24 hour period (or any part thereof) will also apply.
If you find a wheel lock or windshield device on your vehicle, contact the Parking office during regular business hours (Monday through Friday, 8:00am – 4:00pm) or Public Safety outside of regular hours to remove. Attempting to remove a device will result in additional fees and/or penalties.
A fee of $450.00 will be imposed in those instances when a device is tampered with by those who attempt to remove it by force to avoid payment of delinquent fees and fines. The windshield device is equipped with tamper alarms and will result in an additional $150.00 fee if attempts to remove activate the alarm. In the case of permanent damage to devices, vehicle owner will be responsible for all costs of replacement and face criminal charges.
Vehicles with 4 violations or more may be towed. Towing is via an off-campus operator - Kennedy's Towing in Troy, NY. Their contact number is (518) 272-3881. Any towed vehicles are in conjunction with Public Safety and they will have information at the front desk regarding the vehicle.
Parking for Institute Winter Break
The College Avenue parking garage may be made available for registered campus parking permit holders to store their vehicle for the break. Please check back to this page for an announcement before the Winter Break. Vehicles must be parked on the 4th floor of the garage with permits displayed from the rear-view mirror. Vehicles stored for winter break must be removed from the garage no later than the first day back from break. Any temporary vehicles in the garage after that date and time, or vehicles during the break without a valid permit, will be removed by Kennedy’s Towing (518) 272-3881.
No vehicles may be left in any other parking lot on campus or they will be subject to fines, loss of parking privileges, and/or towing.
In anticipation of snow events throughout the course of the winter, after a snowfall please be prepared to move your vehicle to an assigned lot temporarily for snow removal. Removal operations happen within 24-48 hours of the end of the storm and details will be provided as quickly as possible for where you should relocate to, when, and for how long. Vehicles hindering snow removal will be subject to fines, loss of parking privileges, and/or towing.